So Now What?

My first morning back, I woke still exhausted from the week. How I wished that I could putter at home and do up the laundry. Instead, I had to be at school for teacher meetings. I found myself walking in circles, feeling overwhelmed at the day ahead. I found myself asking, " What should I do first?"

A quick thought, "Open your Bible." was my answer. When my Bible fell open to Matthew 19, I read two words, "Follow me". I instantly connected to John and Tim's teaching of the weekend. It made me realize that I can only walk one step at a time. So I simply picked up one box marked SEPT START UP and headed out the door. I was hoping it had what I would need for the day.

My head felt a blur as I reconnected with staff. As questions were asked, I wondered, "What words can I use?" As I needed papers, I found them in the box. As I encountered jobs, I started making lists. Then an extended family group walked into the school, wanting to change class lists. As I heard the exchanges in the hallway, I joined them, asking "What can I do to help?"

When I understood the little girl's fear to come on the bus without her cousin, I said, "I'll be looking for you the first day of school." Her eyes did not respond but I trust those words will help her through those fears. We had connected last year but her eyes were dull once again.

When the grandpa thanked me over and over, even though I didn't promise anything, his eyes connected with mine. It seemed that he felt listened to. I had not brushed him aside.

When the secretary questioned my note, I found words to give understanding to the situation. I found myself persisting until there were options to choose from. The decision was out of my hands, but I was the bridge to give understanding.

I had been wondering how to connect my observations of Nicaraguan poverty to my new school community. I smiled to myself as I saw my first connection of the year. Who knows what my path will be? I just know that I need to connect with opportunities, one step at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step