Broken and Spilled Out

My first morning back to school, I was carrying too many things. My coffee mug slipped out of my hand, cracking open and spilling coffee all over the sidewalk. My first thought of, "So much for my coffee!" was replaced with, "broken and spilled out". Where did that thought come from? Maybe this would be the way the school year would go.

Now that I've completed the first day with children, I feel cracked and spilled out. Teaching a FULL class of Junior Kindergarten is exhausting enough. Teaching the Arts in the afternoon requires more giving of energy and enthusiasm to the children. Some of the behaviors seem to stem from insecurity and lack of self esteem. How will I be able to keep giving without becoming exhausted?

I will need to fill my cup daily. As well as caring for my family in the evenings, I must choose to do something for ME, something that nourishes and recharges my batteries. I must make time for friends, connecting by email, phone or even going out for a coffee. And I must fill my mind with Wisdom, so that there will be something positive to spill out. As I learn to listen more this year, I will be able to pace myself and learn when to pull back and reserve my strength.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Performance Appraisal time