Grocery Shopping Outdoors

I so enjoyed going to market yesterday morning. The fresh crisp air was invigorating, and I could see the vendors setting up their produce for sale. My memory of vendors on the streets in Rama was fresh. I remembered walking along the streets, seeing families in three sided shelters, selling all sorts of things. Shopping outdoors felt more like it should be. Then I went into the grocery store to buy the rest of the food I needed.

Things inside seemed so sterile and packaged. There was way too much choice and so much was processed. I saw so much of the prepared foods that are to make our lives in the kitchen easier. But what is the price we pay for convenience?

After our lunches in Rama, there had been an overflowing compost bowl outside the kitchen door but little else. The chicken we had eaten had been running around the day before, the fruit probably picked or purchased from local vendors. But the streets are also littered with garbage, especially in the cities.

I could see that in Nicaragua, they don't really know how to handle the garbage and plastics. We think we do with all our recycling plants and yet maybe we are the losers in the end. It's the fresh produce that contains more of what we need for life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step