Brilliant Cardinals


 There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.

I was driving home from school, tired from a day's work.  My eyes were on the road but I have to admit my thoughts were everywhere but.   Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a flock of birds right on the side of the road.  Why weren't they moving? Was there something to eat among the gravel stones?

The gravel stones were covered with white salt. Whether or not they were tasting that, the stark whiteness  made the vivid colour of the birds stand out even more.  As I drove past, I turned and saw a big fat cardinal.  Going 50 Km meant it was a fleeting look, yet my mind was suddenly engaged.  I don't think I've ever seen that many cardinals all together at one time.

That's when I realized my mind had been in a whirling whirl of worry and concern. What a gift, to be pulled out of the negativity I was in and to think of something else. It was a sudden shift to think that God cared for me even more than the birds.

Maybe the cardinals were having their needs met by eating something. I know my needs were met as I felt reminded and reassured of God's love and care for me.































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step