Green Lights

Today I'm up before the sunrise, once again driving my husband to work so that I can have a car to drive. I'm feeling half asleep, but that's okay. I'm planning on going back to bed to continue sleeping. That's been my routine, every third day of summer. Other things are on hold, like school, so I'm trying to adjust.

Driving back, I choose to go through downtown Welland. Even with all it's stoplights, I sail right through. In amazement, I watch light after light stay or turn green, seemingly just for me. I had heard that they were timed to keep traffic flowing but I had never experienced it so clearly before.

Wouldn't it be neat if God opened doors that clearly? If I could sail through decision after decision, knowing his will clearly and confidently? But it's more complicated than that. Other people seem to complicate things, slowing down traffic, causing more stops and starts.

If I can stay focused on what's just ahead, I'll be okay. I don't need to know what's around the bend. I only need to keep watch, following the green lights and being willing to slow down for the amber ones. Maybe the stopping is necessary for reflection, for taking in the scenery and for conversations.

Why do I always want to sail through without stopping? If I don't slow down, I'll miss seeing the person along the road that I need to talk to. I may even miss the whisper to turn on a side street to try a new pathway. Maybe I need the red lights to fully appreciate the green.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Playing Hide and Seek