Loved Because of Another

The moment we set foot in Nicaragua, the heat and humidity took my breath away. The scenery was full of contrast - lush, rich rainforest vegetation surrounding homes and people of poverty. It was the last week of August and I was part of a church group bringing musical instruments to a small church at El Rama.

I'll never forget the warm welcome I received every time I was introduced as "la madre de Melanie."  My daughter Melanie had previously accompanied work teams to El Rama, using her Spanish language skills to translate. Eyes sparkled and lit up in welcome, as people of all ages including children, looked at me for the very first time. They would say, "Ah, de madre de Melanie" and envelope me in hugs of welcome.

I had never felt such love, all because of my daughter. They didn't know anything at all about me. My accomplishments meant nothing to any of them. My thoughts of self-importance were totally exposed. We were planning to give workshops during the day, teaching using instruments we had brought with us. 

 I thought I was there to help them develop keyboard skills. Instead their love was breaking down walls I didn't even know existed.  I was undone each time someone new met me, seeing over and over that this welcome was all about who my daughter was. It was not about me at all!

I picture God's love for me being similar each time I approach him. "Ah, the daughter of my son, Jesus!" With a warm smile and eyes sparkling, I know I'm deeply loved and welcomed. He wants to spend time with me because of his son Jesus. I have done nothing, but Jesus did everything, in his death on the cross and his resurrection. My relationship with God begins simply because I'm known as a daughter.

When I finally did play keyboard to accompany a special song the group was singing, I totally messed up.  The first part of the service was full of loud music with a repetitive, pounding rhythm. When I started playing the intro, the group was shocked to hear that same rhythm incorporated. They "went with the flow" and adjusted to this new rhythm that I couldn't have replicated afterwards if I tried. It was humbling to realize how quickly I had absorbed their music culture into my playing.

I'm sure God was smiling, as I began absorbing love and acceptance totally separated from performance and accomplishment. I was simply being loved because of another. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Playing Hide and Seek