Waiting for the Phone to Ring



Waiting, we sit and wait.
Watching for a way to show our love.
I look for how to serve and meet a need,
when to give a sip of water, a spoonful of food,
to move the flowers, adjust the pillows,
to read a note, share a conversation.
She waits to say "I love you" to those nearest and dearest.
Watching for a way to show our love.

Waiting, we sit and wait.
Listening for what is coming next,
for the meal cart
the doctor to visit, a nurse to wash up
I listen for a request, a memory,
a reflection, a familiar voice.
Listening for what is coming next.

Waiting, we sit and wait,
Listening to peaceful music,
hearing words of comfort and assurance
from hymns and carols,
tuning in to the underlying promises of Presence,
Listening to peaceful music.

Waiting, we sit and wait,
Breathing and praying,
Praying and breathing.
Out with the carbon dioxide, in with the precious oxygen
Out with the old, in with the new
Out with resistance, in with acceptance
Out with holding tight, in with letting go
Out with forgiveness, in with peace
Waiting, breathing, praying.

Waiting, we sit and wait,
Wondering how many more days there might be.
I wonder how my heart will handle more pain when it already feels like it's broken.
How will my girls handle assignments and exams when they're grieving?
She wakes from each sleep wondering why she's still here,
why Jesus has not taken her yet,
wondering when she'll get her new feet, her new lungs.
Wondering how many more days there might be.

Waiting, we sit and wait,
Anticipating a time of celebration.
She asks if there's a party going on.  I look in the hall and see no one.
I ask the nurses and they say it HAS been noisy.
The doctor has asked if she'd like a quieter room should one become available.
She declines, wanting to hear the sounds of life, of joy and laughter.
Is she hearing hints of the heavenly celebration with Jenna Sider,
the most recent arrival from our extended family?
We wait anticipating a time of celebration.

Waiting, we sit and wait
Watching and Waiting
Waiting and Breathing
Listening and Praying
Wondering and Anticipating
Waiting for the phone to ring
We talk about where to put the phone when I leave.
She says, "Maybe I'll get my other phone call."
"Which one is that?" I ask.
"The one from Jesus.  I'll pick it up and the phone will drop.  I'll be with him."
Waiting for the phone to ring.

Comments

Connie said…
Kristine, a beautifully written piece, thank you for sharing the deep feelings of your heart on this sacred journey. Your family is in my prayers.

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step