"I Love You"

On January 15, 2016 I found myself at the bedside of my beautiful 23 year old niece, 
looking more like a porcelain doll 
than a victim of an aneurysm and car accident. 
Feeling honoured to be included, 
 a few of us joined the doctors as observers of the detailed process 
that determines that life had ceased.

As the determination was officially made, 
"Absent from the body, present with the Lord" came to my mind. 
Bethany was no longer here.  
She was truly in the arms of Jesus.

Even in my grief, 
there came such a sense of closure, 
of release, 
of love for all in the room.  
This shared love we have for Bethany.......
it joins us even more in her passing.

Now as I begin to process life 
without her exuberant spirit and energy in our home, I can say, 
"Bethany, I always welcomed you, 
told you to come anytime, 
included you as a integral part of our family. 
I only regret that I never specifically said, 
'I love you'. "

I wish I had, 
because I then could have heard Bethany say back, 
"Oh Aunt Kristine. 
 I love you too."

I don't want the separation of death 
to be what pushes me to tell those I love 
these three simple words, 
"I love you".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Performance Appraisal time