A Hole in the Christmas Heart

It all started with putting up my Christmas tree and discovering some of the lights weren't working....Then the bathroom sink stopped draining and no home remedies were working.  The kitchen oven is not dependable any more, requiring the temperature to be set 100 degrees lower so as to not offer burnt offerings.  And now the truck is operating in limp mode after a long trip to Ottawa and back.....lots of frustrations.

I'm becoming aware of a more subtle pain in my heart.  I'm thinking that my grieving of a recent death is  lessening until someone gives me a hug and asks how I'm doing. When I find myself tearing up, I know the tears that were underground and unacknowledged need to be welcomed, not stuffed.  When I stuff them, I eat more of the wrong things, especially when I'm alone.

I'm becoming more aware of the holes in other's hearts at this season:

While sitting around the table with a grieving family, we made Christmas cards but struggled with the message inside, the one to write to the loved one in heaven this Christmas.  I saw the pain reflected in their faces at the idea and the hesitation to voice their wishes and thoughts verbally.

When emailing a friend grieving a marriage beak-up, I suddenly thought about the picture book, Tear Soup. By ordering it and getting it delivered to her family, I'm aware of the need to encourage others. I need eyes to see more clearly those in pain during the holiday season.

While hugging a friend I don't regularly see and asking how she was doing, she whispered that there's too much pain to talk about even.  I found myself extending the hug and whispering back, " I hope you know that you are loved."

Maybe that's what we all need to heal these holes in the heart; a listening friend to share it with, an unexpected moment of joy or a hug from a caring friend.  By reaching out to someone whose hurt is larger than our own, we can find bits of joy that serve to clog the holes in our own heart.  The bigger the hole, the more quickly it will start leaking again....but that shouldn't stop us from reaching out to others.

By acknowledging these pin pricks of pain in my heart, I'm not saying I have the solution.  But I did find a promise this morning from Isaiah 58: 5ff (The message) that rings true....and brings promise of healing.
What I'm interested in seeing you do is:
sharing your food with the hungry,
inviting the homeless poor into your homes,
putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad,
being available to your own families.
Do this and the lights will turn on,and your lives will turn around at once.
Your righteousness will pave your way.
The God of glory will secure your passage.
THEN when you pray, God will answer.
You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am'.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Performance Appraisal time