Listening Hard

Listening means I'm not talking about myself; I'm reflecting back what I'm hearing the other person saying, asking, "Is that right?" and "Are you saying this....?" I let the person talking clarify their facts and feelings. I give opportunity for the whole story to be told if they wish. But that's harder than it seems, especially in the context of family. My daughter has pointed this out, and my eyes are becoming open to ingrained patterns.

It seems that I'm quick to jump into conversations,
to share my own connections,
to give advice,
to make judgements,
to suggest solutions.
What if that's not what's needed? What if I just need to listen? 

 Maybe if I could listen more deeply and intently,
I would begin to see what is underneath;
to see what feelings are under the surface;
to understand what hurts are driving things.
Maybe the words coming out of my mouth would then be more than just my words.

If my heart can connect with God's and if I can listen with an open mind, 
then maybe my words will be ones that he'd want me to speak; 
words that can give hope and shine love.

I don't have to have solutions.
I do need to learn to listen,
showing that I truly care and then leave the rest with God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Performance Appraisal time