Sing What I Sing

There is a classic Sesame Street song sung by Grover with Madeline Kahn. In his characteristic raspy voice, Grover tries to echo Madeline. Initially he sings right with her before learning what echo means. He learns to wait his turn, to listen and to match the tune and rhythm to the best of his ability. He feels like he will never master the "arioso" parts but keeps trying. As Grover sings with gusto, he feels her approval at his attempts.


The song is beautiful, but not because of Grover. The beauty of the song comes from the relationship developing, the following of a leader, the patterns that repeat and because of Madeline's voice. I love the ending, where Grover can't sing low to follow her lead. He finally sings high, applying something he's heard before in the song.

If Jesus was The Singer who echoed God's song on earth, I can also be a singer who learns to echo Jesus' voice. I can begin to feel his approval as I slow down to listen and I can try to sing his song. My first attempts are not pretty, full of discord as I do my own thing. I may never get it just right, and my voice will always be raspy because that's who I am. Yet, as I learn to follow the melody and rhythm with more accuracy, I will gradually get more in step with him. The music will be sweet to his ears and that will bring me joy.

As I hear how he improvises, I will catch the joy of those moments and will try to follow into new territory. It will take a lifetime of trying, but I know that he loves me unconditionally in spite of my failures. The joy of being in his arms and feeling his approval at my attempts will cover me with peace. That's the song I want to continue singing today.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Performance Appraisal time