Shelter in a Storm

It is only sprinkling when I start walking this morning. From experience I have learned that it difficult to carry a heavy umbrella while delivering papers. Today I keep them in the plastic wrapper, add a coat with a hood and head out the door. As the intensity of the rain increases, I soon have a decision to make. Quitting is not an option but I could go back for an umbrella or even get the car.

Our streets are lined with small trees whose canopy's are growing to cover the sidewalks. Today those trees become as friends to me. In some cases, the concrete is still dry underneath the thick roof of leaves. If I feel like stopping, I could experience relief from the rains. It would have been nice to have had a friend under those trees to talk to, or better yet, a friend to walk beside me.

The rains of life come with regularity and I am once again dismayed with that reality. The rain falls on the just and the unjust..."but why now?" I ask. How better to walk with friends through these stresses than to cope alone. I don't need superficial friendships, but empathetic and encouraging friends who can help me focus with hope on the sunshine to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step