Slipping on Ice

Walking has been difficult this past week with a layer of ice under everything. I thought the worst was the first morning after the warm weather and quick freeze made everything slick. Now that I have more experience, I'm realizing that was only the beginning. When I could see the ice, I could tread carefully, taking small measured steps. The problem comes when that ice is hidden.

Today there is lots of snow everywhere. The ice is visible where the ploughs and shovels have cleared the snow away, but it is mostly a hazard when you are not thinking about it. The worst situation by far was the morning that a light dusting of snow covered the ice layer. Although everything sparkled in the streetlight and looked peaceful, that was the day I actually fell twice. Ice was everywhere, not allowing me to use my familiar stride to just get the job done.

Life seems to be like that as well, with icy patches that wait to trip us up. When I am aware of difficult situations, I tread more carefully, taking care to do everything to the best of my ability. When things appear peaceful, I am often unaware and find myself tripping up. I guess the reality is that everyday will have it's ice patches. I just need to watch my step, taking the slower measured steps that will keep me from falling down again. I can't wait for the sun to shine and the snow to melt away, so I can simply walk and enjoy the wonders of nature all around me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Playing Hide and Seek