A Graveyard of Leaves

While walking through piles of dry crunchy leaves, I stopped to pick up a bright yellow maple leaf that seemed totally out of place. It was perfectly formed with no imperfections or blemishes, 'picture perfect' in so many ways. As I walked home with it, I felt like I had rescued it from the graveyard of that tree. But would admiring it bring it back to life? Had I noticed it before it's former beauty was only a memory? Would valuing it make any difference?

As I walked in from school yesterday, I caught the end of a video on Oprah on the life of a boy who lived only 99 days. I saw 99 balloons released into the air for each day of a life that brought joy to his family. Tears came to my eyes as I realized the value placed on his life and the love that had surrounded him. Am I being selfish to want to hang on to all those that I love and cherish in my life? Maybe the saddest thing is a life that passes with no one to appreciate or value it. Although I have no control over when the leaves fall, I can admire the beauty of their colour and uniqueness. And I know that I need to find more ways to communicate to those that I love their specialness to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Performance Appraisal time