Laying Down the Pen


All of life is a story, isn't it? 
We tell stories every day - 
of events and happenings,
of surprises and joys,
of disappointments and challenges.
Is there a difference between author and storyteller?

For many years, I tried to be author,
keeping control of the pen as priority.
It would seem to work for a while,
till in desperation,
I would throw it down, saying,
"I can't do this?"
"I give up!" 
or  "HELP!"

Without hesitation Jesus would pick up the thread of story-line.
He would begin to work out peace from my point of conflict.
He would bring some resolution to an inner turmoil.
After all, I had chosen to follow Him as a child,
so I am His beloved daughter.
He remains faithful and consistent
 in lovingly guiding that pen.

I have to say, that even though He writes better than I,
it often feels scary to not be in control.
Out of fear, I often find myself grabbing the pen
right out of His hand.

Without fail, He lets me try my hand at writing for a while,
sometimes for months,
sometimes .....years.
Eventually I realize what is happening 
and become willing to hand the pen back to Him.

These days the time is getting shorter
between the grabbing and giving back.
My desire to be author is changing. 
Maybe I need to become
a better storyteller instead.

My life, 
my actions,
my choices. 
and my words
are already telling a story 
daily.

What needs to change for me,
is giving Jesus credit as author.
Any goodness in me is because I'm learning
to lay down the pen
and let Him guide the daily details.

What about you?
How tightly are you gripping your pen?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

My 23rd Psalm