Ready and Willing

I left my classroom in June with everything packed up so a new floor could be laid down.  I returned in August to find no change; the broken tiles still there in their ugliness.  A school board inspector walking around even took a picture of it when I asked her, replying, "I'm sure you'll get a new floor NEXT summer!"  That was not the answer I was looking for.

Even though there was only two weeks left,  I felt like it could happen, though likely impossible.  I flippantly said to a friend the Sunday before, "Only God could get me a new floor now."

When I got an email that started with, "Bad news....they just ripped up your classroom floor last night,"  I had to smile and reflect on this good gift being given to me, even at such a late date.  God was getting me my new floor so I had better be patient and not start complaining.

I filled the week with organizing things at home.  I did some curriculum planning for the new grade fours I was adding to my threes.  I kept working on what I could, but the tension kept building as the weekend came closer. Thursday night I struggled getting to sleep and woke very early.

Friday I was finally able to start in.  My husband was a wonderful help for two days, doing anything I asked. Sunday afternoon was quiet and peaceful as I puttered and went through the final cupboards.  I even found forgotten items that were given new life. One last caddy was found for the remaining table top. Anticipation was beginning to bubble within me.

If this is my start to the school year, what is ahead?  What else do I need to prioritize differently?  Asking what is important over the urgent lets you leave many things for another time. Creating the space to function for what is ahead allowed me think time about my teaching strategies. I'm now ready and willing to go.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

My 23rd Psalm