Baking Up a Storm

I take the frozen bananas out of the freezer and compare the number to my recipe that calls for 2 mashed. It looks like I'll be quadrupling the recipe if I want to use them all up.

 Will my biggest mixing bowls be big enough to do the job? Will I have enough of all the other ingredients needed? It looks like I'm good to go. 

As I get my giant wooden spoon into the mixture, I remember my Grandma Wideman making pies and butter tarts. She did nothing in a small way, being used to baking for market days. In her later years, she would take over our kitchen while my mom would "gopher" this and that, washing the dishes and cleaning up the flour which ended up being everywhere. Those days are long past, but I feel closer to my Grandma as the warm memories come flooding back.

Before long my bowls are literally overflowing. When thinking that my biggest mixing bowls would do the job, I didn't take into account the total sum of adding wet to dry ingredients. How did Grandma do it? Would she have doubled the batch twice rather than stirring it all together?

 I'm waiting now for the oven to complete the task. Is baking in large quantities part of the legacy that my Grandma left me? Did I learn the art of hospitality from her baking and serving out of the kitchen? I do know that I'm experiencing the joy in baking for others, as I picture in my mind's eye the enjoyment of the girls. I even added chocolate chips just for their tastebuds.

I would give anything to be able to call up my Grandma and ask her my questions. Maybe I'll call my mom and see what she can remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step