What am I Waiting For?

At our school, those celebrating birthdays are expected to bring in a treat to share with all the staff. As I baked a loaf of banana bread and added chocolate chips, I was simply trying to use up soft bananas. In thinking about what to make next for my birthday, I realized that if I brought the bread in to school, I would need to give it a special presentation. Nothing seemed quite right for it until I found a china dish from my good set of dishes, the ones I keep waiting for special occasions to use.

What am I waiting for anyways? Since I'm turning 50 this year, I'm thinking in global terms about what I've accomplished in life so far and what lessons I've learned during the past decades. If I keep waiting until things are just right, before you know it, I'll be an old lady with lots of regrets. I learned years ago that if I waited until the house was perfect to invite someone in for coffee, it would never happen. So why do I hesitate to use my china dishes? I'm usually in such a hurry that I grab what's handy, not realizing that special times are created around food daily.

There was great freedom in bringing my simple banana bread to work to share with friends. Whether anyone else noticed or not, what was important was my choice to not worry about something breaking or chipping. That beautiful china plate became in that moment a symbol of how I want to live my next decade; full of joy in the sharing of the simple things in life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step