Thoughts from a Newspaper Carrier

It's been nine years since my son first began delivering the Welland Tribune in the mornings. Initially I woke him when he slept through his alarm and drove him around during rain and thunder storms but he was left to become quite independent on the job. Over the years he became proficient on roller-blades but never enjoyed delivering or collecting from customers over in a new subdivision. Being separated from our street by undeveloped land, it took an additional fifteen minutes of walking to get around the block and back. Since I did not enjoy being the nagging voice, "Just get up earlier," I finally offered to start walking over with those few papers. Little did I know what would become of that simple decision.

I am discovering that I actually enjoy the quiet of the morning and the fresh air of a new day. I have learned the importance of dressing for the weather and having sturdy footwear. I've grown to appreciate my neightbours as I have collected and conversed with more of them. I have even started writing down the inspirations that come from the observations of the mornings, finding satisfaction from the process. Since it's now my youngest daughter that I share the route with, and my husband who has taken on the flyers when he's home, I guess you could say it's grown into a family project.

In a busy culture that keeps us fragmented from each other, it's easy to come home exhausted and not venture outside our houses. With each new day bringing it's unexpected interuptions, the most simple of routines can become a stabilizing thread of calmness. Maybe that's why I feel more prepared for each day after the papers are delivered and I've read or written down my thoughts. If my friendly wave or greeting can be a routine that starts someone else's day, then I've become a thread in the pattern of our neighbourhood, making it a better place to live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Performance Appraisal time