Living after Easter

Many months of weekly practicing finally produced a musical production called "The Promise". Everything came together on the final weekend as we presented it multiple times.  It is always fun to see something come to life out of nothing but a script with music and ideas in the director's mind. There is such a sense of satisfaction by the time we get to the end of the Easter weekend.

It is always good to overcome obstacles, to find notes that once were in discord come closer into harmony.  It's exciting to combine the actors with the music, seeing the scenery add depth to each scene. Each person involved could say they had a small part in it. Only collectively could we begin to tell the amazing Easter story of love and promise, bringing history to life in the way we did.  Familiar concepts had a chance to become fresh and new as we memorized our words and music.

It took the sacrificing of Sunday afternoons to work towards this end.  When things were "broken" musically, we took it apart section by section, plunking notes and building competence.  When parts were put back together again.....harmony and smiles were the result.

Why can't we work this hard to resolve conflict among brothers and sisters, parents and children, colleagues and friends? Why do we brush the discord aside with comments like, "That's just the way they are, they'll never change."  We live in the brittleness of disharmony and learn to skirt around issues no one wants to talk about.  When relationships break down, why can't we pursue peace and try to mend the rifts?  Might we be the one who needs to listen and really hear another's differing perspective? Or maybe the one to offer the first apology?

I can never love perfectly yet I am called to pursue peace with others.  You'd think it'd be easier among fellow Christ followers but it's not. In my own strength, it just won't happen.  My heart gets wounded and I want to feel sorry for myself, blaming someone else for my pain.  If I can only access, on a daily basis, the resurrection power available to me as a Christ follower, then there can be hope through forgiveness.  It will be the love of Jesus bringing the harmony I so desire in relationships.

I find it comforting to know that Jesus has already prayed this for me, as one of those who would live and follow him later in history. "I in them, and you in me.  May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." That sounds to me like the way towards peace and harmony.

Maybe I have to be willing to live with a messy process in order to "be brought" into the complete unity that Jesus prayed for.  He must have known how hard it would be. Our choir music never did become perfect, although we did get better each time we practiced.  I was only responsible to have my eyes on the director and to sing my notes.  By standing along side others, I could simply encourage by singing to the best of my ability. That's all any of us can do to resolve a conflict.

I know that's where I need to live - in the process of truly loving. In all my relationships, even the difficult ones, I need to be constantly forgiving and letting go of  hurts so that God's love can flow. It's like continually going to choir practices, practicing and rehearsing until we get it as right as it can be. Then God's love won't be blocked from filling in the harmony.

It's my small moments of heart healing that can join together with other moments from other hearts to create the music of community living that we all desire.  I want to do my part in resolving discord, living in the blend of harmony that is music to the ears and brings a smile to the heart of God.  This is where I want to live after Easter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step