Paying Attention



Sitting in the dentist chair, one doesn't quite know where to look. I keep my eyes away from the bright light and try not to focus too much on what the dentist is doing. Instead I look straight ahead, finding one point to dwell on that puts everything else into the edge of my view.

Suddenly I'm aware of the assistant's working to my left.  She is so ready to get the tools needed and to be an extension of the dentist's hands.  He couldn't do his work efficiently without her. I watch as she anticipates his moves, almost handing him a tool and then readjusting as he asks for something else.

This assistant happens to also be my friend.  I've heard her tell how it takes time to adjust to a new dentist's style and manner.  She worked with her former employer for years, but he is gradually working into retirement and works at a slower pace.  This new dentist is quick and energetic, expecting more to be accomplished with each minute. She has to study him to be ready to assist him better.

My mind wanders and I find myself thinking of words I'm memorizing.  "As you learn more and more how God works, you will learn how to do your work." (Colossians 1:10 MSG)   I used to think that doing lots of good things was pleasing to God. The more that I realize how deeply he loves me, the more I can let go of the good things I want to do. The more I can soak up his love, the easier it is to love those around me.

Studying Jesus, spending time with him, reading his words and finding him in the unexpected is changing me. To be his hands and feet I simply need to love others. It's more challenging than it sounds, especially when fear and insecurities crowd in. It's also challenging when those I need to love are unlovely.

If I can decide what's my stuff and what's not mine, then I am where I need to be. I can bring my stuff to Jesus and let go of the hurts so to be healed. Paying attention to his whispers allows me to follow his lead. That's how I'm learning to more fully relax and "do my work".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step