The Door to More

“Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.” So says Jesus... to me.

I know that Jesus is the way to truth and new life because I have experienced his forgiveness. It's been a “come and go” friendship though, as I've tried to be independent. I have often felt like I could do things well enough on my own, even with Jesus in my life.

These words were originally in a letter from Jesus to the early church. The Laodiceans were busy and affluent believers, feeling quite self-satisfied with themselves and their faith. I'm afraid that is most often a picture of me. All my money, security and possessions gives satisfaction, but it also causes me to think I have enough of Jesus. Could there be need for more?

I'm finding doors that keep coming into my life, with choices and a need for change. It's almost like Jesus keeps whispering and calling to me through daily stresses, wanting me to invite him in further. He is patient and persistent, not willing to 'break and enter' uninvited. He allows me to decide how much more of him I really want in my life. Will I invite him into each new situation or will I try to do things on my own first?

When I worry and fret, not able to sleep through the night, Jesus is whispering, through his promises, of great love for me. Will I trust him enough to open the door and give my worries over to Jesus?

When I find myself in pain, restricted to my bed, Jesus is wanting to carry me through this too. He wants to embrace me with his presence and give me peace in the inactivity. Will I accept that path and open the door, or will I continue to nurture my self pity?

When I find myself without a job, or in transition between them, Jesus is waiting to walk with me through the unknown. He wants to speak his truth into my thinking. Will I spend time reading his words and will I ask my difficult questions? Will I try to know his thoughts so I can gain some of his wisdom?

When I struggle with a difficult person that I can not love, Jesus is waiting to pour his love into me so that I will have something from which to give out. Will I ask forgiveness for my lousy attitude and find something to be thankful for instead? Jesus wants to love me in spite of myself. He is willing give me his glasses to wear so I can see others through the lens of compassion.

His quick response, when I do invite Jesus into my problems, shows me that he's been patiently waiting on the other side all the time. I press on, thinking I've learned my lesson, only to discover another door and another issue that needs his input.

As I venture through each successive door, I'm becoming more quick to allow the love of Jesus to soften me. My trust is growing as he keeps his promises and shows me the path through each situation.

I have no idea what doors are ahead. I can always choose to go through them on my own but then I'd be missing out on developing my relationship with Jesus. Rather than being an “emergency friend” that I call on when in distress, I think he'd rather be an intimate “best friend”.

If I can keep hearing his voice, I will be able to open each new door without fear. Jesus will be right beside me. If a doorway is too tight and painful to walk through, he will be able to carry me, in his strength. I'm discovering that Jesus will always have more to give as I keep opening myself to him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step