A Broken Umbrella

With the howling wind and driving rain, delivering papers was not something I looked forward to doing. My umbrella started to be ripped apart by the fourth house and yet the job still needed to be completed. I persisted in keeping the papers close to my chest and the bits of umbrella around my face but it was impossible to stay dry. More work came from trying to hold on to an ineffective umbrella and to keep myself from being injured.

When I got back and realized my daughter was sick and would probably not be going to school, I decided to tackle her part of the job as well. By now I was soaking wet anyways, so I changed my approach and set out without an umbrella but with the papers wrapped in plastic. The wind was still roaring but it didn't seem quite as bad. I didn't realize how cold and wet I really was until the job was done but a sense of satisfaction was there that could only come from following through on something difficult.

While walking, I composed a verse to add to the chorus of a song written last night. Since I need to teach my Kindergarten students what responsibility is, what better way than to model it, tell my story and put the lesson into a song. Here it is:

WE ARE RESPONSIBLE
We are responsible for what we say and do.
We are responsible, it's true.
We are responsible for what we say and do.
I am responsible for me, and you for you.

Even when the way is rough,
And I feel I've had enough,
There is still a job that I must do.
I will try to do my best.
There will be a time for rest.
Finishing well is my responsibility... Chorus

Comments

Renee Kievit said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Renee Kievit said…
Wow Kristine, you are very creative. NIce work on the song. I may just use it at my house if you'll let me

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Beauty

The joy Inside

Step By Step